Beagle, G.E.

August 11th, 2009

GEORGE ELROY BEAGLE 1883-1952

George Elroy Beagle was born on August 23, 1883 at Eyersgrove, Columbia County, PA the son of Frederick and Catherine Beagle.  He moved to Bloomsburg with his parents at the age of four and attended the public schools of Bloomsburg and Bloomsburg State Teachers College.  Active in atheletics, he was catcher for the college baseball team in 1903 and 1904.

Mr. Beagle came to Watsontown in 1904.  First engaged as a wood carver for the Barr Table Works, he later served in this and other capacities at the Watsontown Cabinet Division of Philco Corporation from the time this company started business in Watsontown until Mr. Beagle’s retirement in 1946.

Elroy married Mae Morgan on October 30, 1912 with Rev. H.C. Sperdeck of the Presbyterian Church officiating.  Mae was born on April 29, 1885 in Watsontown, the daughter of Samuel B. and Margaret (Leighow) Morgan.  She graduated from Bucknell University.  Mr. Beagle joined the First Presbyterian Church in Watsontown on March 23, 1921.

The Beagle’s were members of the Democratic party.  G. Elroy Beagle was elected Chief Burgess on November 5, 1929 and was sworn in on December 2, 1929 upon the resignation of his predecessor, John Martin who had resigned a month prior to Martin’s term ending.  Elroy served as Chief Burgess from 1929 to 1933 and later was elected to serve on Town Council from 1938 to 1939.

Mr. Beagle was a member of the Masonic bodies, including Watsontown Lodge 401 F.&A.M. (having been made a Master Mason on April 1, 1924 and having served as worshipful master in 1928), Warrior Run Royal Arch Chapter and Williamsport Consistory.  He was also a member of the Milton Lode of Elks. 

Mrs. Beagle was appointed Postmistress of Watsontown Post Office on October 1, 1934 and served in the capacity for 15 years until her retirement in 1949.

Mr. Beagle died on November 14, 1952 and was buried in Riverview Cemetery, Northumberland, PA.  Mrs. Beagle had been a guest of the Park Home nursing facility from 1959 until her death on December 12, 1964.  She was buried in Riverview Cemetery, Northumberland, PA.

[Williamsport’s Gazette and Bulletin, November 15, 1952, pg 9; Milton Standard, December 14, 1964, pg. 2 obituary.]

Last Modified: 08.11.09

Leave a Comment

Please note: Comment moderation is enabled and may delay your comment. There is no need to resubmit your comment.

Posted by jamesdrobison and filed under Working Documents | No Comments »