Wagner, Wm. M.

July 15th, 2007

William M. Wagner 1830-1922

William M. Wagner was born March 29, 1830, in Limestone Township, Montour County, the eldest son of Daniel and Catherine Follmer Wagner. He was elected to council in 1870 where he was elected secretary. The following year he was elected to council but C.O. Bachman replaced him as secretary. In 1873 he was elected Chief Burgess during which time the engine house was painted and a hose cart was purchased. A portion of the engine house was also partitioned off as a lock-up. It was also during this time that the lot that the engine house stood at Fifth Street was purchased from the Car Company. The Hope Hose Fire Company was organized on June 11, 1873 with O.F. Benson, foreman; Wm. Field Shay, assistant; J.Z. McFarland, secretary; and T.D. DeArmond, treasurer. On June 25, 1873 Chief Burgess Wagner gave them a new hose cart and hose. A week later the Eureka Fire Company was organized with Austin Stull, foreman; B.F. Jacoby, assistant; F.A. Reen, secretary; and F.H. Knight, treasurer. O.F. Benson was appointed the first Chief of the Fire Department for one year beginning January 5, 1874 to oversee both fire companies. In 1876 Mr. Wagner was elected to school director being elected secretary the following two years. In 1877 he was elected auditor as well. In 1882 he was elected as overseer for one year. Mr. Wagner was also a member of Watsontown Lodge No. 401 F. & A.M. having been raised a Master Mason on May 13, 1868 and where he served as Worshipful Master in 1873. In 1882 he and his family moved to Winchester, VA where he was engaged in the lumber industry until he retired in 1911.

Mr. Wagner married Margaret Craig on December 6, 1855 and they had two children: Mary Lizzie, and Susan Clara. Mrs. Wagner died on October 21, 1858. On June 12, 1873 Mr. Wagner remarried to Rebecca Bryson and together they had two children: William Bryson born July 27, 1874 and Katie Follmer born September 27, 1877. Wm. M. Wagner died on August 29, 1922 at the home of his sister-in-law, Mrs. J.H. Wagner in Watsontown.  He was an active member of the Presbyterian Church where he served as an Elder and Superintendent of the Sunday School for a number of years.  William was buried at Winchester, VA. He was the First Chief Burgess to be married while holding the office of Chief Burgess.

[The Milton Evening Standard, August 30, 1922, pg 1.]

Last Modified: 08.08.09

Leave a Comment

Please note: Comment moderation is enabled and may delay your comment. There is no need to resubmit your comment.

Posted by Ric Jones and filed under | No Comments »