August 11th, 2009
GEORGE H. SHANNON 1861-1931
George H. Shannon was born in Millheim, Centre County on December 10, 1861 to Rev Samuel G. and Elizabeth V. Shannon. He attended common schools in Centre County until the age of twenty while he clerked in a store in Selinsgrove and attended the express business. He began learning the trade of tinsmith at Newport, Perry County 1883. In December 1883 he moved to Watsontown where his father was serving as pastor of the First Lutheran Church. He opened a tinshop in Dewart in February 1884. A few months later he went into partnership with F.E. Kirk and purchased the stove and tinware of the late E.B. Hogue. In 1887 Mr. Kirk sold his interest to M.S. High and the firm changed to Shannon & High. The business expanded to include plumbing, steam heating, roofing, and spouting.
George married Clara A. Ketner on March 15, 1888. Clara was born in June 1858 to Erastus and Sarah Ketner. George and Clara had two daughters: Maude A., b. December 1888; and M. Ethel, b. January 1894.
George H. Shannon was a member of the Democratic party and served one term on the town council from 1890 to 1892, twelve years on the school board, and one term as auditor. In 1913 he was elected to fill M. Augustus Berger’s term as Chief Burgess after Mr. Berger’s sudden death on December 12, 1913 before being sworn in. Mr. Shannon served in this capacity from 1913 to 1917.
Mr. Shannon was active in the Lutheran Church as Superintendent of Sunday School for over twenty years and leader of the church choir for about seventeen years. He also has served as president of the Watsontown Cemetery Association for a number of years succeeding Abram Goodman.
George and Clara resided at 28 Pennsylvania Avenue. George died in 1931. Clara died in 1942. They are both buried in Watsontown Cemetery.
[The Record and Star, Silver Anniversary Edition, 1907, pg 14]
Last Modified: 08.11.09