July 15th, 2007
Frederick H. Knight 1837-1922
Frederick H. Knight was born at Liverpool, Perry County on November 27, 1837 to Richard Knight who had fought in the Revolutionary War. His father died while he was quite young and he was forced to apprentice with Mr. Ira Sears who was a boatman and a hard task master. He ran away from this servitude and signed on to help build part of the Reading Railroad form Herndon to Shamokin. He then became employed for four years by Amos Kapp of Northumberland saving enough money to send himself to school at Freeburg, Snyder County and then the State Normal School at Millersville, Lancaster County. Mr. Knight became a school teacher at Georgetown, Northumberland County but soon joined the army in 1861 enlisting with Captain Charles J. Bruner’s company at Sunbury. When he reached Harrisburg however the army said he was too frail and refused to take him. He tried again in 1862 and this time was accepted into Company G, 147th Regt., Pennsylvania Volunteers serving until the end of the Civil war. He was mustered out of the service as a Sergeant Major.
On April 12, 1866 he settled in Watsontown. He began a hardware business which grew into one of the largest and most complete hardware and stove stores in the upper end of Northumberland County. Fred married Anna Schoch of New Berlin, Union County on December 11, 1866. They had one son Harry S. born in March 1868. The Knights were members of the Lutheran Church in Watsontown.
Fred served on town council from 1871 to 1872 and again from 1883 to 1884 during which time he served as treasurer. In 1894 Fred was elected Chief Burgess and served from 1894 to 1896. He also served as a school director, superintendent of the Water Company, and president of the Board of Trade. Fred was a member of the Republican party.
Mr. Knight was a member of the Watsontown Lodge, No. 401, F. & A.M., being raised to Master Mason on June 2, 1869 and serving as a Worshipful Master in 1876, he was a charter member of the Warrior Run Royal Arch Chapter, No. 246 were he was past High Priest, he was knighted in Crusade Commandery No. 12 of Bloomsburg in 1874 from which he resigned to enter Mt. Herman Commandery No, 85 at Sunbury. He was also an active member of the Bryson Post, No. 225, G.A.R. Mrs. Knight died on February 15, 1906. Mr. Knight died on September 16, 1922. They are both buried in Watsontown Cemetery.
[The Record and Star, Silver Anniversary Edition, 1907, pg 11]
Last Modified: 08.08.09