July 15th, 2007
Dr. John F. McClure 1850-1892
John F. McClure was born on May 19, 1850 along the west branch of Brandy Wine, Chester County to James and Francina (McCalmant) McClure. He received his education at Kingston Seminary. He taught two years at Lawrenceville Academy in Tioga County before beginning to study medicine under R.B. Smith. He then attended Bellevue Medical College graduating in 1875. He then moved to Watsontown in April 1876.
Dr. McClure served on the borough council for three years acting as secretary of that body, had been a member of the school board for six years acting as secretary for three of those years for that body, and was elected Chief Burgess of Watsontown in 1891. He was reelected in 1892 and died while in office on February 27, 1892.
He was married on August 18, 1875 to Jennie Mills of Stueben, New York. He was a member of the Watsontown Lodge, No. 401, F. & A. M. having been raise a Master Mason on December 4, 1878 He was one of the censors of the Medico-Surgical College of Philadelphia as well as a member of the Northumberland County Medical Society. He was a director at the Farmer’s National Bank and a member of the Board of Trade. He was radically Democratic in politics but did not let this interfere with his duties as a physician. He died on February 27, 1892 and was buried in Watsontown Cemetery. His wife died in 1941 and was buried next to her husband.
[The Record and Star, Silver Anniversary Edition, 1907, pg 11]
Last Modified: 08.08.09