July 15th, 2007
Alfred H. Hockley 1842-1914
Alfred H. Hockley was born in Montgomery County on July 12, 1842 to Clement L. and Elizabeth Keyser Hockley. Clement was a tavern keeper in Douglass Township, Montgomery County. As a youngster, Alfred and his family moved to the Washingtonville area in Montour County where he received his education in the public schools. Alfred married Harriet Fox on December 1, 1870. Hattie was born in McEwensville, PA in 1845. He began his career as a carpenter which he did for ten years. He was then engaged in the grocery business in Mahanoy City for eight years and at Eldred, McKean County for three years before moving to Watsontown in 1880. While in Watsontown he was engaged in the manufacture of carbonated drinks. They were members of the Lutheran faith and had three sons: Roscoe L, b. 1877; Chester F., b. 1883; and George A., b. 1885.
Alfred served on the council for one term and became Chief Burgess on June 1, 1890 when he was appointed to succeed E. Sherman Follmer following Follmer’s resignation on May 12, 1890.
They moved to Emporium where he was a member of the Emporium Lodge, No. 382, F.&A.M. where he became Past Master. Hattie died in 1896 at Emporium and was buried at Watsontown Cemetery. By 1910, Alfred had returned to Delaware Township, Northumberland County where he died on June 20, 1914 and was buried next to his wife at Watsontown.
[Record and Star, June 26, 1914, pg 8]
Last Modified: 08.07.09