July 15th, 2007
William Brady Piatt 1846-1895
William Brady Piatt was born in White Deer Valley, Brady Township, Lycoming County, PA on May 21, 1846 to John Brady and Lydia Wetzell Piatt. William’s father died on May 18, 1860 when William was only 14 years old. William’s great, great grandfather was the renowned Captain John Brady (1733-1779), a local hero during the colonial wars and the Revolutionary War. He commanded Fort Brady (presently Muncy, PA) and was killed by the Native Americans on April 11, 1779.
By 1870, William and his mother Lydia and our sisters: Susan, Catherine J., Ella Francis, and Nancy B. had moved to Watsontown. It was in 1870 that he began his career in the lumber business becoming one of the leading contractors for the Philadelphia & Reading Railroad. He was a member of the Watsontown Lodge, No. 401, F. & A.M. having been made a Master Mason on March 12, 1873. He served as Chief Burgess from 1881 to 1882 and in 1892. William married Zelia F. Dieffenbach of Williamsport on November 27, 1884. Zelia was the daughter of Mary Dieffenbach and was born in January 1859. William’s sister Catherine J. Piatt was appointed postmistress of Watsontown on May 10, 1893 and served in that capacity until September 18, 1897. William was also a director of the Watsontown National Bank and at the time of his death was the largest stockholder. Mr. Piatt died on April 27, 1895 after a protracted illness. The ultimate cause of death was heart failure. William was buried in Watsontown Cemetery. His mother died October 3, 1897. After his death, Zelia moved back to Williamsport and lived with her brother, William O. Dieffenbach and their mother at 512 Grier Street.
Last Modified: 08.08.09