July 15th, 2007
Dan C. Hogue 1844-1905
Dan C. Hogue was born on March 11, 1844 in Lycoming County to Joseph P. and Sarah A. Caldwell Hogue. Mr. Hogue received his education at the Milton and McEwensville Academies. He enlisted in Company B, One Hundred and Thirty-first Pennsylvania Volunteers and served nine months. He then enlisted in the Twenty-eighth Pennsylvania Volunteers to serve as long as the soil of Pennsylvania was invaded. In August of 1864 he enlisted a third time in Company D, Two Hundred and Second Pennsylvania Volunteers and was discharged when the Civil War was over.
After the war Dan returned to Watsontown and opened the first planing mill under the name Wagner, Hogue & Co. He then served as book-keeper for the Watsontown Lumber Company for eleven years, after which he kept a general store for seven years. He was secretary of the Watsontown Nail Works when it opened in 1886.
Dan served on the first council in Watsontown in 1867 and again in 1880 and 1882. He was elected Chief Burgess in 1885 serving until 1886.
Mr. Hogue was married on June 10, 1869 to Rebecca B. Starr who died December 8, 1880 and is buried in Watsontown Cemetery. They had two children: Charles J., and Frank. He remarried on May 23, 1888 to Sarah E. Parvin of Leesport. Mr. Hogue was a member of the Watsontown Lodge, No. 401, F. & A.M. being raised to a Master Mason on June 1, 1868, as well as Bryson Post, No. 225, G.A.R. He died on February 27, 1905 and is buried at Watsontown Cemetery.
Last Modified: 08.07.09