July 15th, 2007
Cyrus Oliver Bachman 1816-1887
Cyrus Oliver Bachman was born on July 28, 1816 in Lititz, Lancaster County, PA to John Phillip and Susanna Elizabeth Albright Bachman. His father was born in Kreuzberg, Thuringen, Germany and emigrated to the United States prior to 1793. Cyrus was a printer by trade, having learned the business in a Lancaster newspaper office, where he assisted in printing the time-honored and well-known Lancaster almanacs. Later on he printed a German paper in Sunbury.
Cyrus and his wife Hannah J., who was born on October 27, 1820, settled in Watsontown by 1867 and established himself as a respected merchant of the blossoming community. Cyrus was listed amongst the voters in 1868 as a tenant. Cyrus was instrumental in organizing the C.O. Bachman Lodge #619, Independent Order of Odd Fellows being one of twenty charter members initiated on December 7, 1867. The Lodge received its charter on January 25, 1868. Mr. Bachman was a member of the Republican party and one of the original members of the town council elected to that position on November 16, 1867 and serving as its first secretary during both terms having been reelected the following year. In 1870 he was elected Chief Burgess, the fourth individual to hold that office. During his term a snow ordinance was passed. Following his term as chief burgess, he returned to the council and was elected secretary once again for two consecutive terms. In 1877 Mr. Bachman was elected auditor of the borough along with W.M. Wagner. The following year he was elected Justice of the Peace and was reelected in 1883. Mr. Bachman continued in the general merchandising trade until he relinquished the business around 1875.
Cyrus died on December 13, 1887 at his residence on East Front Street and was buried at Watsontown Cemetery. Mrs. Bachman died on March 28, 1900 and is buried next to her husband.
[The Northumberland County Pennsylvania Burials, Vol. VI, Meiser, Jr., Joseph A. and Meiser, Sarah Roadarmel, 1991, pg. 155, The Record and Star, December 17, 1887, pg. 8]
Last Modified: 3.7.09